Major General Chris Deverell, Director General Logistics Support and Equipment at HQ Land Forces; speaks about the British Army’s strategy to support current and future operations at International Armoured Vehicles this February.
He will discuss:
- The impact of ISAF and Operation Herrick deployments on the British Army and how this has influenced the post-SDSR vision for the Army.
- Major equipment initiatives along all lines of development and the protection of resources in a constrained environment
- The important issue of maintaining existing capabilities to ensure that current operations remain fully resourced
- Upgrade of existing vehicle types and looking towards new procurements
- Upcoming land system and vehicle requirements to implement the British Army’s future missions
Major General Deverell was commissioned into the Second Royal Tank Regiment in 1979, undertaking a University Cadetship at Mansfield College, Oxford, from which he graduated in 1982. He saw regimental service in Germany, Cyprus and Northern Ireland with the Second Royal Tank Regiment, and served two tours in the 1980s with infantry battalions in Northern Ireland and Belize. He commanded the Joint Nuclear Biological and Chemical Regiment (First Royal Tank Regiment) at RAF Honington in Suffolk.
Major General Deverell has worked in the Ministry of Defence at every rank from Captain to Brigadier, except Full Colonel: initially in Land Systems Operational Requirements on the Chieftain Replacement project, then as one of the two desk officers in the Directorate of Army Plans responsible for the Army Equipment Programme, and later as Assistant Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Defence. His most recent Main Building appointment was as the Director of Equipment Capability (Ground Manoeuvre).
As a Full Colonel, he served in the Permanent Joint Headquarters and US Central Command during the build-up to and invasion of Iraq, and then as the Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff (Operations/Commitments) in Headquarters Land Command. On promotion to Brigadier he commanded 4th Armoured Brigade, in Iraq and Germany, from January 2005 to April 2007.
Major General Deverell is a Deputy Colonel Commandant of the Royal Tank Regiment. He has an MA in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from Oxford, became a Member of the City and Guilds Institute during the technology element of the Army Command and Staff Course, and attended the Higher Command and Staff Course in 2004.
Visit International Armoured Vehicles from the 7-10 February 2011 to hear from Major General Chris Deverell amongst 60 international military speakers. Book your place online today.